Cumberland Falls Magic

It's beautiful here, so beautiful.



Camping in a tent next door is a man and his daughter. I'd guess she's about eight. Jaden. She comes over to talk with me every time I walk outside. We talk about Barbie, movies, dreams.

She told me she dreamed of a golden wolf. "I asked God to make it real and he did; I saw a golden wolf." I can relate. I wanted to say, "Don't tell anyone." Because good meaning people love to tell you that it was just your imagination. You didn't REALLY see it, you dreamed it. But reality is subjective-- just because you've lost your ability to believe in magic doesn't mean you need to bring kids into it. Their lives are magical; they see things adults have grown out of, lost touch with. I have no doubt she saw a golden wolf.



If you saw 'em steal  a candy bar and they told you they didn't, correct it for goodness sake. But if they tell you that they were outside last night and the lightning bugs told them a story, sang them a song and turned into unicorns, go along with it and experience the wonder of it too.

Because they're all visionaries. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not real. One person's Yanni is another person's Laurel. One person's blue dress is another person's brown. I'm excited every time the debates start over those things-- yes! yes! maybe we'll finally all recognize that we see, experience, sense differently. We can believe in other people again! Hurrah!



What I find most strange is that people will say, "Oh honey, that's not real, the thing you saw with your own eyes. But Moses parted the Red Sea, you can believe that! Just waved his arms around and there it went, split right in half!" Kids become rather skeptical of you, if you only believe in magic in certain scenarios, but not theirs. They then begin to distrust themselves, what they see. That's an unbelievably unfair thing to do to a human who believes in the magic of their reality.

Never, ever, ever grow up.



People take away your excitement, step on your thrill. Then they applaud themselves for being so helpful. It's stupid, if you think about it.

Comments

  1. Which did you prefer, Cumberland Falls or Fall Creek Falls?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fall Creek Falls! Without a doubt. I spent several hours one morning, cleaning up the trash around Cumberland Falls. It's a beautiful place, but the people who visit it are apparently fucking assholes. Lol. The next morning I came back to walk on my "clean beach" and there were more Gatorade bottles, broken glass, dirty diapers and used condoms. They should rename it "epic filth bucket."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts