Thoughts on Bears and Manufacturing and Monty Python and using the word 'and' too often

Yesterday was a perfect day. Floyd gives and gives. There was a Bike Floyd event going on, so people everywhere on bikes. I hit the farmer's market and bought a few hippie tonics. Then I started driving towards Willis, VA because I'd heard good things. They host a Yoga Jam camp/festival and FloydFest is out that direction. The real reason though was because I wanted to get a picture of the "Welcome to Willis" sign so I could send it to my friend who always says, "WHATCHU TALKIN BOUT WILLIS?"

I took the Floyd Highway southish or westish, maybe both. The roads are curvy enough, I generally don't know which direction I'm going and leave my fate in the hands of Janet, that old so and so, the voice of GPS. I don't know if her name is Janet or it's just a computer-generated voice, but I call her Janet when I get mad at her for giving me the wrong directions.



Down these winding, beautiful roads lined with interesting old barns, fences and wildflowers I saw MY FIRST BEAR EVER! I mean, outside of a zoo. It ran across the road in front of me and I was awestruck at its size, even though I instantly recognized that it wasn't full grown.

I saw the signs for Chateau Morrissette, so I followed them to this beautiful winery. The guy at the counter had to have been in his 70s, but the most spry, giddy, funny person. He told lots of wine drinking stories and I started to suspect he might start his day with a gulp or eight. I asked him if it is common to see bears here, and he said that I probably saw a yearling. This time of year the mama bears give birth to new cubs and they kick the yearling out of the nest to go fend for itself so she can focus her energies on the new baby. Ah, motherhood!



Got back and delivered a farmer's market pineapple to Landon, who runs the campground. It's always good to be friends with the camp host, especially if they're friends with Shep Gordon, who I totally need to meet someday. He's awesome, so later he brought over Jelly Bellies, firewood, a fire ring, his banjolele and ukelele. We made a fire and he sang songs and explained to me how to properly clean the black tank, run the hot water heater and what I should do with my propane tanks. He's an RV nerd, and oh man! I'm so grateful because I'm never going to have to take another cold shower! I thought you ran the hot water heater off of EITHER the propane or the electric, not that you need both on to get more than a luke warm, which feels really cold, shower.

We talked about his history: he went to SUNY Buffalo to study theater. His partner, Dan, lives in the cabin they bought together in Maine and makes his living locating difficult-to-find textiles and really great vintage clothing which he sells on Etsy. I've been an Etsy seller too, but this guy actually figured out how to make a living off of it.  When he starts singing love songs around the fire it's awesome rather than awkward because... well, for obvious reasons. We had a time, and drank one, maybe two of the bottles I got today at Chateau Morrisette. Campfires and music are the best way to do camping. This was my first campfire of the trip, because I just never felt like going to the effort to do one for just myself.



This morning I woke from a dream where I created an autonomous collective and had Monty Python themed cabins I rented to people. I've been contemplating the airbnb thing as a way to make extra money for a mortgage (trying to find the best way to own something here since there are no rentals available). Anyway, I figured having the Monty Python theme should attract exactly the right kind of people-- people who dig that humor-- I usually get along with them well. Nerd! Nerd! Nerd is the word!!

While contemplating this genius (maybe?) idea, I paged through Facebook to see who's up to what. A lady in one of the RV groups I'm in asked the question: Should I get a Dyson or a Shark (vaccuum), and I'll take any opportunity to berate the GARBAGE they sell women. Seriously!!! I've never had either of those that hasn't broken after a year. They're trash. Manufacturers make garbage and sell it to women. When they make stuff for men, the know men won't put up with that crap. It doesn't have to be some cutesy design, just practical and last a long time and do its job. That's what men require. Women will buy a stylish vacuum, ooooh, look at that big ball it rolls on and they did that ball in a nice, bright color? WHATEVER. Those SUCK. They're hard to use too; the design is so schmancy. I bought a 1.5 gallon shop vac for my RV vacuuming needs. It has one button: ON/OFF. Just plug in, use, and never breaks. Like, NEVER breaks. Just empty it once in a while and send a picture of your hand flying the BIRD to those silly companies that market to the ladies. I'll take stuff that works, thank you very much! MAN it feels good to get that out!!! Now, I think I'll go listen to Guy Clark sing "Stuff that works." Here are some lyrics from it...

Stuff that works, stuff that holds up
The kind of stuff you don't hang on the wall
Stuff that's real, stuff you feel
The kind of stuff you reach for when you fall 

I got a pretty good friend
Who's seen me at my worst
He can't tell if I'm a blessing
Or a curse
But he always shows up
When the chips are down
That's the kind of stuff
I like to be around
 
I got a woman I love
She's crazy and paints like God
She's got a playground sense of justice
She won't take odds
I got a tattoo with her name
Right through my soul
I think everything she touches
Turns to gold






Comments

Popular Posts