Country Music Songwriting Contest, Chapter 2, The Munchies

 

What must it be like,
to look into anothers eyes and see yourself,
feature for feature, 
breath for breath
is it a garden or a curse?
How do you wrap your mind around
people who are only one,
all alone in this world?
How do you account for your lost twin
do you look into the mirror
and talk to him?


Native Peoples have many symbols
depicting four
When I started putting together collages of nature,
I finally understood them
their real meaning
It's about the four seasons
it's about the four winds
it's about the four directions
of course,
but it's also about seeing the earth
from all four directions
Upside down and backwards
like the tiny mirror in my camera
that looks back into my eyes
whenever I pear through its lens
And it's just me and you here,
these clouds, this earth, 
in the middle of nowhere 
you still show me your self
and you could be like the deer
and only choose certain times to appear
but you give me the gift of watching
even if its a show you're only putting on for me


You brought me this moth
as a token of love
but yesterday I found out you forgot
that love and now I'm eating
the mozzarella sticks I bought
for you, because you only eat kid food
and it drives me nuts

I'll keep speaking well of your name
remembering the moth gift
even when your presence and the
fact that you're going to throw a fit
later about me eating your cheese sticks
reminds me that everyone is incredibly
stupid for putting men in charge of things

Because they're worrying about
appetizers and pot holes
when they should be watching the road

You gave the twinkling eyes to someone else,
finally, after all this time
and at first I felt bad, 
but now I wish you'd fall for her completely
and I could find someone who'd stay in
the moth gift stage for a little while
then leave me with blessings
and we'd thank each other for all
we've learned and grown together

Some days I fantasize that I'd
give you a handmade card that says
"You make me wish I were a lesbian
but I still love you most of the time"
and that he'd laugh and laugh and
I could fall into his arms one more time
to say goodbye

*The original design came from a quilt by the quilters of Gee's Bend, Alabama

A community of women commune over stitching
Making blankets of scraps of threadbare cotton
taken from the clothes we used to wear
We stitch them back together to make
winter blankets for the whole town

Until an art curator shows up and shouts, "HIGH ART"
and then takes all of your incredible artwork
to New York City to show jaded people something
they can't possibly understand
They're too busy worrying about having the same dress
as another socialite and all I can think is,
Are you warm tonight, Gee's Bend?

Have your beautiful quilts been replaced by store bought?
I sure that's not the life you have to live now
and the price you pay for stardom
Stardom you never looked for, but here we are
and I feel two ways:

If I'd have never seen your quilts hanging in this museum
I'd have never had a real experience
inside of a museum, because I felt your power in every stitch
and seeing your art changed my life

Some people are a beautiful cup of life-giving water
You, together and your blankets
are the ocean.

We rode into the desert at dawn
to take pictures of the Death Valley Marathon
and it was the only car I'd ever had
that no lights were on on the dash,
but the desert fixed that
and now all the lights in the dash are on
but when the sun goes down
all of the stars you've never even
dreamed were there
appear in Death Valley
You feel at one with them, and if you lay down
on the roof of your car,
you'd swear you were flying through
outer space
and now I would never want a car
without all the lights in the dash on
because I might forget flying through the Cosmos

I painted that metal barrel, and nature gave it real flair
Patina and wrinkles and humped backs
are what we came here for,
so why do we spend so much time
with the doctor who knows nothing
to get well
when what we came here for
was the wildest ride we could conjure
to destroy ourselves from the inside out
in the most creative ways possible
we're our own show and we need no
reality television
because we watch ourselves from
the perspective of the main character
and we see us from our eyes first,
then from our chest
then we watch from anothers eyes
and finally from above
and we realize we've finally been seen
and it had been a fool's errand looking
for it anywhere outside of us
so we bravely took hold of the mast
of our own ship
and we screamed at the top of our lungs
at the storms coming in,
daring them to take us
to that better place
but not without a fight
Let how we die, be a reflection of how we lived,
and the bigger the life,
the bigger the death
Anything less is blasphemy,
that's my religion now


Swatting flies brings sport to my days
Telling the horse to get out and get some exercise
while I sit in the house at the computer
punching the keys on this imaginary piano
and maybe playing the piano would be more gratifying
I should probably try
I always wanted to not have a job for a while,
to be able to sit and read books in the woods
and to throw dance parties of one
but I never counted on the loneliness trying
to catch me most days
the flies being more annoying than they should be
that at the end of the day
you ask yourself what you've done that you're truly proud of doing
and the answer keeps coming back, "nothing really"
but it's so much better than waiting tables

But then again is it?
I could be giggling in the kitchen right now with Maria
about the tables we're going to crop dust
and what, specifically we need to eat to work up 
a really smelly one
people think we're focused on them and their happiness
and its so cute that they're so ignorant
because we're having important conversations
about music, good writing
art, books, and what the perfect wine
would be to go with Ramen noodles and fried bologna

Because waiters are artists
who occasionally walk up to strangers
and then roll their eyes when they order hot tea
because it's such a pain in the ass
and doesn't bring up the tab or the tip
and we're here for the kitchen conversations, man,
not to take your shit.
Have some whiskey and have a little pride.


Comments

Popular Posts